Saturday, February 13, 2010

Tomato, TomAto

For this blog I need to go back a few years and explain something. I have been playing basketball in Italy for 6 seasons now. My first year here, i realized that my name is almost IMPOSSIBLE to say if you are not American. Most of the time it comes out Carney or Cootney. The "ourt" part really presents a problem. So does the "th" sound, but thats a whole 'nother blog ;) Anyway, during my first year when my team was asking for my nickname, I told them they could just call me C. Unfortunately, that didn't last long seeing as "si" means yes in Italian, and it was one of my coaches most overused words. I never knew if he was calling my name or telling me good job. Eventually, one of my teammates jokingly called me Bruce since my last name is Willis. To make a long story short, this nickname has followed me for the last 6 years.


I am in no way related to the actor Bruce Willis (at least I don't think that I am), but I am related to the late Matt Willis. This was my fathers father and he was an actor for many years, although most famously known for his role as a werewolf in Return of the Vampire. Do you see the family resemblance?


I say all of that, to say this....... they call me Bruce.

The other day there was an article in the local paper, and i wanted to share it with you, but I figured I would need to explain the headline first.



Obviously you can't read the article, because its both blurry and in Italian, but it is just talking about where our team is this season. I feel like we have a good team, with good players, but we just haven't been able to get it together on the court. Like every other team in this league, we practice every day, twice a day. And it gets frustrating to put in all the work and not reap any benefits from it. Right now its towards the end of our season and there is a handful of games that we are more then able to win. Now it comes down to our confidence level. When we go against the top teams it seems like we just go out there to play, and that we don't feel like we can actually win. So being down by 5 points, slowly turns to 10, then to 20 and sometimes up to 30 :( It's easy to get down and get frustrated, but for the foreigners that play over here, this is our only job. And we have to remember how lucky we are to still be able to play and compete and to top of it all off get PAID to do what we love. I think about all the times at home I'd get excited when Clint and I would go to the YMCA or a rec center to play pickup for a few hours. We would play so hard because you knew if you lost you had to sit out and wait until the next game or 2 was finished. Now I am over here and sometimes I take it for granted that my only job is to work hard during the week and for 40 minutes on Sunday night try to get a win a game. Although sometimes my vision might get cloudy because of frustration, illness', or injuries, this is what I love to do. (Thanks for reminding me of that, Clint!)

I hope everyone has a great Valentine's weekend! I will be travelling to play one of the powerhouses of our league all day Sunday. For most of my life, basketball has been my valentine on February 14, but for the second year now I will have 2 Valentine's!

Happy Valentine's Day!!



No comments:

Post a Comment