Thursday, March 11, 2010

Missing In Action.....

Sorry for the delay.... I was having some technical difficulties getting my internet recharged for the month of March, but I'm finally back up and running.



So the last 2 weeks.... lets see. One morning me and 2 of my teammates went to a local high school to talk to the kids about sports and school. For those of you unfamiliar with sports over here in europe, lets just say they dont exsist in the schools. For those young kids that want to play have to practice with the professional teams in the area. We always have about 2,3 and sometimes 4 young teens practicing with us. Now I dont mind going to schools to talk to kids or playing with the really young kids that are excited about playing basketball and at least know who we are, but HIGH SCHOOL is different. If they werent playing sports by now, then they werent going to start now. We walked into this room that looked like I had stepped into a time machine that sent me back to 1986.



There were so many banana clips, big hair, neon colors, and giant accessories. A few things had changed.....The boys jeans wear are super tight AND straight leg, the guys had almost a full bottle of LA Looks in their hair to keep the mohawks high and pointy, and BOTH the guys and the girls had muliple piercings on their faces. I know I havent been to America in almost 9 months now, but I hope our teenagers back home dont dress like that. Needless to say, none of these students were interested in hearing from women speaking about playing basketball. It was interesting to me to see an Italian High School though. I feel like back home we offer so many sports in high schools and that just gives opportunities for children to be rewarded with athletic scholarships that will pay their ways through college.


Aside from the appearance of the students, there some other differences. The big parking lot outside is filled with scooters. Kids in Europe can't drive until they are 18 so until then, they are weaving in and out of traffic on these "safe" 2 wheelers. School starts around 8 and ends at about 1 every day, Monday to SATURDAY! yes saturday!!! I remember getting out of school at 3:20 and having 10 minutes to get dressed and ready for practice right after. Then getting home around 6pm in time for moms homemade dinner. Italians are done around 1 and they dont even think about eating dinner until 9. I guess I am glad that I always had somethign to do to occupy my time, and Im really glad I chose sports! (Actually I just chose to do whatever my sister had done, and tried to do it better ;)........ THANKS CAM!!) Apparently my dear, sweet, older, shorter sister had posted a picture of me and her when I was a baby on her facebook page. In my "unflattering" years. But I guess thats expected, seeing as most of her childhood she was jealous of me ;) Here's a picture to show this side of her as I opened a present with joy......

Right now I cant get my hands on more pictures to embarass her with, but give me some time..... Sleep with one eye open Willis...... ;)

2 comments:

  1. I like what you've done with the place. But why did I see that picture and think it was you in your pink thinga mahjiggahz

    ReplyDelete